Thursday 3 May 2012

Fares fair ?

I've recently become a blogging widow - so I thought I'd try it for myself. We'll see how it goes - but please don't expect to find any fancy stuff here. 


You will find some politics and a bit of campaigning stuff as I haven't completely lost my desire to change the world, its just become a little bit more random and occasionally eccentric as I enter "Grumpy Old Man" territory.


Anyway, recently I found my way to one of my favourite places - Plymouth - to see my adopted favourite football Club, Plymouth Argyle. It was a vital game for Argyle and the result, a 1-1 draw against Oxford Utd, with other results going the right way, secured Argyle's place in the Football League. 


It was a very enjoyable journey too. Car to Axminster, then train to Exeter, change for Plymouth. The rail journey included a stretch alongside the Exe estuary and then right along the shoreline at Dawlish. I thought it was superb value at £9.50 return. I was happy to "let the train take the strain", as the old marketing line used to say. In fact although I'm an infrequent rail traveller, a rail journey is something I almost always enjoy.
Exe Estuary - courtesy Devon-explorer.co.uk
I'm obviously not alone as according to First Great Western, travel on their lines has increased by over 80% since privatisation. They also claim that growth in timetables means that services on branch lines have increased faster in the south-west than anywhere else in the UK.


However all this good news could come grinding to a halt, or even into reverse fairly shortly. The Government has announced a review of rail fares. Prices for most tickets will already be 24% more expensive by 2015 than they are now.


Axminster station
I believe that its essential that prices are kept down if the growth in rail travel and the many benefits it offers are to be sustained. 


Timely then to include a link here to the Department of Transport's fare review consultation. If you want to know a bit of background its also worth a visit to the website of the Campaign for Better Public Transport, who are running a "fares fair" campaign.


"All aboard" and see you next time !












3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging, I will enjoy following you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try trains abroad, they are much cheaper. Last year we went all the way to Trondheim and back by train and the year before it was a tour of Germany, Czech Republic and Slovakia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we used the cheap local rail service as a great alternative to a hire car in Portugal a couple of years ago

      Delete

Debate is always good !